Garden Organic volunteers have helped over 44,000 people and mentored another 4,000 householders to grow food since April 2010.
The 449 trained Master Gardeners have volunteered an amazing 15,000 hours offering free food growing advice and support in central London boroughs and three rural counties.
Every Master Gardener finds and encourages local residents and groups to start growing – and keep growing through the highs and lows of fruit and veg.
Master Gardeners networks: April 2010 to August 2012
- 15,024 volunteer hours helping people grow food
- 82% (368) volunteer retention across five networks
- 4,053 people in 1,834 mentored households (1,387 under 16). All growing their own. Families and schools; windowsills and allotments. Whatever the weather
- 44,608 food growing conversations. Each one counts
- 560 community groups/events supported. Thoroughly enjoyable
Behind the numbers:
- Read case studies or click here to contact local networks
- ‘Like’ Master Gardeners on Facebook
- See photos of new food growers and mentors on our Flickr collection
- Discover the health, social, and environmental impacts of Master Gardeners after exciting research by Coventry University. Visit our news page from mid October 2012.
Volunteers are locally recruited and trained by co-ordinators managed by the UK’s leading organic growing charity, Garden Organic.
These lively networks are supported by the Big Lottery Fund’s Local Food Scheme, Sheepdrove Trust, and local authorities in Warwickshire, North London, South London and Norfolk. Together with the NHS in Lincolnshire.
Many, many thanks to all the Master Gardeners for sharing their knowledge and inspiring stories.
Garden Organic is working with partnership organisations to establish custom networks of volunteer Master Gardeners in areas where there is the local need and local funding. All our models help people benefit from growing.
It’s very exciting. Read more here or find ways to get involved with your nearest network.
With many thanks,
Project Manager, Master Gardener Programme, Garden Organic, Coventry, CV8 3LG