Posted on 25 October 2011.
Latest reports reveal achievements of 192 wonderful volunteers as we conclude our second year.
We’re delighted and grateful for how well Master Gardeners networks have come together to help people grow their own food in Warwickshire, Norfolk and London.
Ongoing thanks to our partners: local authorities, Sheepdrove Trust, and Big Lottery fund’s Local Food scheme.
Ongoing thanks to our dedicated and cheery team: Kate, Kate, Fiona, and Gabbie. Together with all the keen folk at Garden Organic (…and Sarah with her new baby-Master-Gardener, Eliza).
Just the facts – May 2010 to August 2011
- 7,219 recorded volunteer hours helping people grow fruit and veg
- 85% of trained Master Gardeners out and about in their community. Delighted.
- 899 households mentored to grow food since May 2010. Includes 2061 residents; 700 under 16. Splendid.
- 21,745 community conversations since May 2010. This is 10% above our three-year target.
- 286 local events and community groups supported by Master Gardeners. Lovely lovely.
- 40,000 hits on five Master Gardeners websites.
More Master Gardeners just trained….
We’ve just trained 85 new volunteers during four weekends in September and October 2011, so there are now 277 Master Gardeners as part of our Local Food programme.
Please click here to read the local stories.
Our Lincolnshire programme has grown hugely since beginning in March 2011 thanks to co-ordinator Rick Aron and local authority partners with the NHS. There are now 53 county Master Gardeners supporting households and exciting new community gardens.
Please click here to read case studies.
We’ve put together new proposals for creating local, tailored Master Gardener networks for new funding and operational partners. We’re trialling these at the moment…
Click here to read more about future areas.
With many thanks,
Master Gardener Programme
Master Gardener Carol with the pupils of Belfry School, displaying their veg art.
Master Gardeners graduate, with Hidcote Head Gardener, Glyn Jones and Sarah Mallison.