Hundreds of Garden Organic volunteers have helped tens of thousands of people to benefit from growing food since we launched the Master Gardener Programme in April 2010.
In November 2013, we won the prestigious national ‘Education and Learning’ award from the BIG Lottery Fund’s Local Food Scheme – a £59.8 million national grant programme. We were commended for ‘inspirational work to create a team of mentors who share knowledge across the board with support from an online network’.
We thoroughly appreciate the energy and commitment of every ‘Master Gardener’ mentor across the UK in our urban and rural networks. Each mentor has a flexible volunteer role to suit their lifestyle and interests. Each has expert support from their locally-based co-ordinator, together with bespoke resources and ongoing training.
Starting a Master Gardener network
Managing charity, Garden Organic, develops commissions with organisations to contribute to their health, social and environmental outcomes by launching and managing mentor networks that help people with food growing advice. Master Gardeners support the agenda of many charities, businesses, local authorities, and public health authorities.
Garden Organic is looking for organisations to help deliver and fund the impact of local Master Gardeners to benefit communities through growing. In particular,
- to expand current networks
- launch future networks by geography and theme.
Master Gardeners have varied interests including shared gardens, schools, universities, housing estates, allotments, households, community events and public heath.
Meeting local needs: health, social and environmental outcomes
Read how the Master Gardener approach benefits people taking part in the programme for 12 months and, importantly, delivers continued positive behavioural change after up to 36 months.
Delivering a Master Gardener network
The Master Gardener programme is different everywhere it goes. It attracts diverse volunteers that come from the community to help the community. This exciting approach follows kind support from the Big Lottery Fund’s Local Food Scheme and inspiration from the ‘Master Composter Programme‘.
- In partnership, Garden Organic designs a local ‘Master Gardener’ role and recruitment plan. Our impact then combines scale and flexibility as each mentor finds innovative ways to inspire and sustain behavioural change by the target beneficiaries.
- Garden Organic delivers unique services to train and pro-actively support committed Master Gardeners. Their enthusiasm and feedback drives the network. The network is supported by high profile publicity and an auditable database of achievement.
- In partnership, Garden Organic delivers a customised package of localised co-ordination with training from leading experts, together with bespoke resources. Each network evolves with evidence of impact for long term sustainability.
The Master Gardener Programme is part of Garden Organic
We are Europe’s leading organic growing charity dedicated to promoting organic gardening in homes, communities and schools. We use innovation and inspiration to get more people growing in the most sustainable way.
Garden Organic’s charitable work is delivered through renowned projects, such as